I know everyone is absolutely exhausted, pained and everything in between since the short session, but now is not the time to sit idle. We have exactly three weeks until early voting begins. With that being said, we as film workers and supporters need to light this election a new one. Not just in Wilmington, but statewide. The one thing many of the media outlets did that was a disservice to the NC Film community was shine a light on the industry and made it look like it was just a Wilmington issue. We all know it is not, but we are indeed the ones that raise our voices the loudest.
But this week I opened my ears and eyes, and I am seeing and hearing crickets. Again, I know it’s been a long road and we are all tired, but we need to be the ones to ensure change. We need to educate. We need to keep our promises. The promise we made during the summer months was that we will show them the power of the film community on November 4th. There are over 25,000 North Carolina residents that benefit from NC Film in some way. We need you ALL to be present at the polls!
Yes, we did lose the battle, but we will NOT lose the war. Change begins with you! And it takes all of us to make that happen. ALL of us. The General Assembly’s Long Session is only 3 months away and we need the right people in office to get North Carolina back on the right track ESPECIALLY with film!
Here’s some ways you can help:
1) SHARE. Share Share Share. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest. See articles that favor our candidates that support the film industry. Share them! Seriously, share them!
3) VOLUNTEER. Volunteer at the polls. We are looking for folks who are pro-NC Film to work in 2 hour shifts at the one stop early voting (October 23, 2014 – November 1, 2014) locations and on Election day (November 4, 2014) in New Hanover, Brunswick and Pender County locations. GET MORE DETAILS NOW
4) USE IT. This week the Koch Brothers really screwed up. Use that! Let the community know that they REALLY want shut down NC Film. Let folks know which candidates Kochs/American For Prosperity/Civitas. are tied to. i.e. Thom Tillis.
5) SHARE THE LIST: LIST OF WHO VOTED FOR AND AGAINST FILM: NCGA_FilmmakersVotingGuide_2014
6) REGISTER TO VOTE. Ask around, make sure everyone you know is registered to vote! Deadline for registration is October 10th. That’s only 8 days away!
7) ABSENTEE VOTE. Make sure your film friends who are leaving town for work VOTE. Absentee voting by mail runs through October 28, 2014!
8) DONATE. We have folks like Ernie Ward, Elizabeth Redenbaugh, Steve Unger, and Betsy Jordan who are HUGE film supporters. We MUST get them in office. So support them! Those across NC let people know who is for film in your district. Don’t be silent. Be LOUD about it!
9) DRESS THE PART. Wear it in public! Show your film pride! Sport your Film =Jobs shirts. Wear your production t-shirts. Everywhere. It’s always a conversation starter when you are out and about. Let people know who is on our side!
10) FEEL IT. BELIEVE IT. Light that fire! Feel that passion you had just a few months ago and make your voice be heard! You have 21 days. Make each one count!
Let’s turn the tables and make this election have the greatest turn out in North Carolina’s history!