PRESS RELEASE: North Carolina Awards Three Film & Entertainment Grants

Press release from the North Carolina Department of Commerce:

North Carolina Awards Three Film & Entertainment Grants

Raleigh, N.C. – N.C. Commerce Secretary John E. Skvarla III and the Economic Development Partnership of N.C. announced three productions will receive funds from the North Carolina Film and Entertainment Grant program. Each recipient will begin production within the next 60 days.

“Two of our grantees are returning to film in North Carolina and that is exactly what we want- repeat business,” said Secretary Skvarla. “We want to continue long term relationships on both the big and small screen.”

The three-hour filmed musical event “Dirty Dancing,” the independent feature film “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” and a new television event series “Shots Fired” will film in North Carolina. The three projects combined are expected to have direct in-state spending of more than $64.5 million while creating approximately 7,600 job opportunities in the state.

DebraMessingDirty Dancing is an adaption of the beloved 1987 hit romantic drama and instant movie classic, which was shot in part in North Carolina. Produced by Lionsgate Television in association with Allison Shearmur Production, the TV event—starring Academy Award-nominated actress Abigail Breslin (“Freak Show,” “Scream Queens,” “Little Miss Sunshine”) and Emmy Award-winning actress Debra Messing (“The Mysteries of Laura,” “Smash,” “Will & Grace”) and singer, dancer, actor Colt Prattes (P!nk’s music video “Try,” “Rock of Ages”)—will air domestically on ABC. The production will take place in the state’s western region, including Jackson and Buncombe Counties among other locations. The eligible grant amount is up to $4 million.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is an independent feature-length film about a small town mother who confronts the local police department as to why there are still no answers in regard to the death of her teenage daughter seven months ago. The production is being produced by the UK’s Blueprint Pictures in conjunction with Film4 and Fox Searchlight Pictures. It will also base out of the state’s western region with filming taking place in Jackson and Buncombe counties among other locations. The eligible grant amount is up to $3,106,772.

SanaaLathanShots Fired is a series from 20th Century Fox Television and Imagine Television that will base out of Charlotte. The series examines the dangerous aftermath of racially charged shootings in a small town and will star Sanaa Lathan (“The Perfect Guy,” “Love & Basketball”) as an expert investigator who digs into the cases, alongside a special prosecutor sent to the town by the Department of Justice, to seek justice before the divided town erupts. The eligible grant amount is up to $9 million

“North Carolina continues to be a choice location for a variety of projects and the latest recipients, who will join previously awarded productions in the Wilmington and Research Triangle areas, show that this industry is indeed statewide,” said Guy Gaster, director of the North Carolina Film Office within the Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina. “In addition to job opportunities for many of our state’s highly-skilled film professionals, these projects will also help stimulate economic activity in the communities in which they film.”

The North Carolina Film and Entertainment Grant provides financial assistance to attract productions that will stimulate economic activity and create jobs in the state. Companies receive no money up front and must meet direct in-state spending requirements to qualify for grant funds.

THE WILMYWOOD DAILY – 02/04/2016 -More Cast Revealed for SIX, Premiere Party tonight, and more.

WILMYWOOD MOVIE PREMIERE

THE CHOICE premiers everywhere this Friday, however many of the Wilmington peeps who worked on the flick are going to see it tonight at 7pm at Mayfaire’s Regal Cinemas!  And yes, you are invited to join in on the fun!

NC FILM GRANT CASH

As you know TNT’s Good Behavior and History Channel’s SIX will both film in Wilmywood, but how much of the grant did they get? Together, the NC Film Office says they are expected to have direct in-state spending of more than $57 million while creating approximately 2,900 job opportunities in the state.

Good Behavior is eligible for a grant amount of up to $6,603,003.
SIX is eligible for a grant amount of up to $7,215,671.

ADDITIONAL CAST FOR SIX:

Barry SloaneDeadline reports Revenge alum Barry Sloane landed the role of John “Bear” Graves, the recently appointed leader of Seal Team Six, a group of elite soldiers who take on the most high-risk military special ops missions in the world. This Brit will be making his way from across the pond later this month.

EdwinHodgeAlso cast in SIX is Edwin Hodge. You might’ve seen him in Chicago Fire or perhaps The Purge. Hodge will take on the role of Robert Chase III, one of the seals-in-training being considered for Ortiz’s replacement. He completes challenges quickly but makes a few rookie mistakes.

These two handsome gentlemen joins previously cast Dominic Adams and Juan Pablo Raba.

REALITY & DIY SHOWS

HGTV is bringing Hunting Vintage Television Series to Wilmywood for a couple of weeks.  You might spot them in the downtown area, on Wrightsville Ave. and on Country Club Road beginning on Febraury 8th.

Hunting Vintage

UNCW Alum Jordan Sasser made it through another round on American Idol last night.

NC CREW MEMBER BENEFIT

The extremely loved local stunt woman Tina Wanner is battling cancer. A very rare type of ureter and renal cancer. So rare, in fact, that her doctor is calling it the “Tina Wanner Cancer.”

TinaWanner

There is a Tina Wanner Benefit Concert coming up on Saturday, March 5th.  If you can’t make, you can still donate. SEE DETAILS NOW: FACEBOOK INVITE

$30M NC Film Grant will be ready for apps in November.

I figured you’ve been wondering now that the budget is complete, where’s all the prospective productions?  Been crickets for the last few weeks.  Well, the language is still being worked out.  Lauren over at the Triangle Business Journal reports that the North Carolina Department of Commerce is still in the “public comment phase of drafting the grant guidelines.” All written comments will be accepted until November 6th.  If you wanna go and person to file a comment, you have until October 29th to do so, but you have to head to Raleigh to do it.

After that , the guidelines will then become effective on November 9th. Applications for the grant will be accepted soon thereafter, but there is no definite date as of yet.

READ LAUREN’S COMPLETE ARTICLE NOW:

Hollywood must wait until November to apply for film grants in North Carolina

NC Dept. of Commerce releases Prod Cos who got the Dirty Dancing Cash

If you are an avid reader of this here blog, The Wilmywood Daily, then you’ve known most of these deets for a while now. But there were a few things that we were waiting on. Like an official announcement from the Dept. of N.C. Commerce of what we already know AND which production got what from the Dirty Dancing money.  So, here we go.

  1. TNT’s Good Behavior (Wilmington, NC) – Eligible for up to $1.25 million. 

Related Articles:

https://wilmywoodnc.com/2015/09/16/tnts-drama-good-behavior-chooses-male-lead/

https://wilmywoodnc.com/2015/09/08/wilmington-nc-crew-call-tnts-good-behavior-2/

https://wilmywoodnc.com/2015/08/27/north-carolina-natives-bring-two-productions-to-the-state/

2. The Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter (Asheville, NC) – Eligible for up to $2.8 million.

Related Articles:

https://wilmywoodnc.com/2015/09/09/asheville-nc-fincannon-looking-for-10-13yd-old-boy-for-whitetail/

https://wilmywoodnc.com/2015/08/27/north-carolina-natives-bring-two-productions-to-the-state/

3. HGTV’s Love it or List it (Raleigh/Durham, NC) – Eligible for up to $950,000.

We knew a reality show got the final bit of cash from the left over money , but we didn’t know which one.  Well, now we do.

Now with the Dirty Dancing money done with and since the Governor signed the budget today, we will now see who applies for the $30M in the grant for this fiscal year. It might be a little while since they have to implement all the new language what was changed.

THE WILMYWOOD DAILY – 09/16/2015 Senate Vote, Sleepy Hollow on DVD, Reel Wilmington Film Series

We are one step closer to reaching a final budget. The NC Senate voted 33-16 yesterday for a budget compromise. A final Senate vote will happen today. The House take it on tomorrow and Friday. The bill then goes to Gov. Pat McCrory for his John Hancock.

Yesterday, we discovered there were some positive language changes to the NC Film Grant which will give us $30M per fiscal year. READ FULL STORY NOW.

The NC Film Grant is a five year plan, expiring July 1, 2020. The grant will increase the minimum spend of $250,000 per episode for video or television series to $1M per episode.

The current cap has a max rebate of $5M, up to 25% on qualified expenses/purchases of productions for an entire television series. The max payout will be raised from $5M to $9M for a single television series.

Feature Films remain at $5M for minimum spends and maximum rebates. Commercials will remain the same as well at $250,000.tscc3

Sleepy Hollow Season 2-3-300x300Season 2 of Sleepy Hollow which was filmed right here in Wilmywood is out on DVD. Go ahead and grab yourself a copy and see just about everyone you know in the BG 🙂

IM3The Reel Wilmington Film Series at Bailey Park kicks off this Saturday and features family friendly movies shot in the Carolinas. First up is Iron Man 3 (edited). Bring a chair and your friends and family and head to Bailey Theatre Park at 12 North Front Street. Showtime is at 7:30pm

Got Scoop?  Message me on Wilmywood’s FB  or on Twitter Or just post your comments below! That’s a wrap!!

Revised language for $30M NCFilm Grant. Raises Cap for TV series.

Last week, Senator Michael Lee announced that the leadership of the House and Senate agreed to replenish the NC Film Grant with $60M for the next 2 fiscal years — $30M per fiscal year.  The next step was to revise the language of the film grant.  The goal was to focus more on television series rather than features which would be more beneficial to NC Film Crew and small businesses.  Most of the changes relate to that.

The budget compromise is 429 pages long and the Senate will be voting on the deal tomorrow.  Someone bring in the coffee, Jolt Cola and Red Bull please cuz it’s gonna be a long night!  Seriously, how on earth can one human carefully go through 429 pages and know what the hell they are voting on?  I’m definitely NOT saying to NOT end this thing. Lord knows this budget is almost 11 weeks overdue, but…well, I’m just sayin’! At least the House requires 72 hours before voting after receiving a monster like this budget.  The Senate, however, does not.  FYI, according to Colin Campbell over at the N&O, this year’s budget will be the longest-delayed spending plan since 2002.

Our legislators in the NC Senate in general as you know are NOT fans of the film industry. So you can imagine what it would be like to fight for it.  It’s like trying to run up a tidal wave. So, any changes that were made, were nothing short of a miracle. So, if you have a moment, please make a call or send an email to Michael Lee, Bill Rabon, and Harry Brown on the Senate side and of course Rep. Ted Davis in the House and thank them for fighting for us.

Anyway, let’s get to it. What are the major changes in the language?

First, the NC Film Grant is a five year plan, expiring July 1, 2020. In this budget we are replenished for the first two years.

Currently the NC Film Grant has a minimum spend of $250,000 per episode for video or television series. The minimum spend will increase to $1M per episode.  As a dear friend of mine put it, that will assure we don’t get a lot of low budget/low rate crapola. Yeah, I’d say that’s a good way to put it.

Feature Films remain at $5M. Commercials remain the same as well at $250,000.

Now for the cap! We all detest the $5M cap. The current cap has a max rebate of $5M, up to 25% on qualified expenses/purchases of productions for an entire television series or feature film.  We lost out on a few projects because of that! So, the good news is that the max payout will be raised from $5M to $9M for a single television series.

Now here’s where it gets interesting.  All things are not created equal.  Like feature films. The current the rebate would remain the same at $5M.

You see what they did there? Do I love it? Not really. But should we focus on longer term projects such as television? Yes. As I stated earlier, the goal was to focus more on television series – longer term jobs for the crew and more spending with our vendors. Television is more important to our film folks.

Of course we all wish we could just go back to our good old film incentives, and throw the grant out the window. But it is what it is and we can only move forward from here. What we have in the new budget will get us back on our feet, so in the end it’s worth smiling about.

Other changes include fringe benefits for those who work less than 35 hours per week. In the new grant language, it removes the 35 hours.  I don’t have a complete understanding about this yet.

So now the Senate will vote then the House this week.  Will they make their Friday deadline?  Will the Governor veto? We shall see…

SEE HOUSE BILL 97 NOW (Film Grant on page 299)

 

NC House/Senate agree on Film Grant Money

Even though the NC state budget still has yet to be passed, the leadership of the House and the Senate have agreed upon a number for the next two fiscal years for the NC Film Grant.  It will be allotted $30 million for each fiscal year. That’s $60M total.

After the agreement, Senator Michael Lee of New Hanover County said, “We would’ve loved to have the number higher, but Rep. Davis and I worked really hard to get it to that level. I’d like to thank the Small Business for Film Group for all their support. They really made a big difference.  It’s a great day for New Hanover County and the state of North Carolina.”

They are now currently working on tweaking the language of the NC Film Grant.

More to come!

 

 

 

THE WILMYWOOD DAILY – August 14, 2015 Film Grant, One & Two, Final Screen Gems Tours

ncfilmThe deadline to apply for some of that Dirty Dancing money that went unused ($4M) was August 7th. And now we wait and see who will get it.  There were 17 applications turned in.  Now it’s up to the Dept. of Commerce who will get the cash. The productions will have 100 days to get going. We should know VERY soon who the grants were awarded to.

one-two-posterREMINDER: The NC Filmed supernatural thriller One & Two is out today via OnDemand and by digital download through iTunes and Amazon starting TODAY! The production filmed in Forsyth and Surry counties. Starring Kiernan Shipka and Timothee Chalamet, the flick is about two siblings who discover a supernatural escape from a troubled home, but find their bond tested when reality threatens to tear their family apart.

REMINDER: LAST WEEKEND!!! EUE/Screen Gems will wrap seasonal tours on Saturday and Sunday,  Aug. 15 and 16, 2015. Tours are wrapping because “Under The Dome” (CBS) is breaking down sets that will not be used in future seasons. The last Summer 2015 tours will be at 10 am, 12 noon and 2 pm, weather permitting. Guests should arrive at the studios at least 30 minutes ahead of time to purchase tickets. Don’t miss out!

UTDradio

 

 

 

Is Film Dead in North Carolina? No. Here’s Why.

I know a lot of people are bummed, devastated, heartbroken (INSERT YOUR FEELINGS HERE). So I thought it would lighten the mood a little bit and give you a few things to think about.

Under the Dome is leaving, yes that is true, however, we are not dead. Film is not dead in North Carolina. It’s not even close to how it was in 2013 or 2014 and who knows if it ever will be, but there are some things we can look forward to.

There are a few possibilities. Since Dirty Dancing never used the $4,000,000 from the NC Film Grant, there are production companies who have already applied. It looks like Wilmington (if all goes well) will hopefully have one if not two pilots. One from TNT and another possibly from NBC. One would have an October start date. That’s all I am saying about that for the moment.

Now, in the next two weeks we will know what kind of numbers are going to come out of the General Assembly. We know at the very least it will be $10M but what we’re hoping for is something above $25M. $40M+ of course is preferable. That will keep some of our crew afloat. Once we get that in play we should have some definite confirmations from productions companies who wish to film here.

I do know that on the western side of the state there is a Danny McBride flick that would also like to film this fall.  That will depend on the NC Film Grant for this fiscal year. It’s titled The Legacy Of A Whitetail Deer Hunter and stars Josh Brolin and Danny McBride.  And can I please give a HUGE thanks to to Jody and Danny for trying to bring everything they can to North Carolina.  I know the crew and vendors are very grateful.

We should know who exactly applied for the grant by the end of next week and how many.

So all hope is not lost. I hope this gives you some peace. I know it’s hard because our film family is being torn apart as people have to relocate to do what they do for a living. But there will be at least some work to look forward to.

Love you guys and gals – stay strong!

Under the Dome Vacates Wilmywood: More details

So, it looks like my sources were once again correct. Although there has been no official words to come out, crew members who work on Under the Dome, commented on social media platforms with sadness, frustration and agreement, not corrections to the story.

SEE STORY NOW

Today, I got word that CBS has initiated strike orders for all the sets. I also heard there will be a set dec sale sometime soon, but that it will be small. Most of the show’s belongings will be broken down and shipped out. Under the Dome wraps season 3 this Friday.

Ironically, this was the last official prop purchase for Under the Dome. I do believe I see our NC Film Industry in there.

lastfilmprop

If you haven’t seen the sets at EUE/Screen Gems Studios, I would HIGHLY recommend you take a studio tour ASAP to see the stages where Under the Dome calls home. The tours run Saturdays and Sundays at 10am, 12pm, and 2pm. At least for now.

The only good news I can tell you is that now with Dirty Dancing releasing the $4M in unused grant money, we will be having a pilot or two this fall, but I am holding off on releasing the details at the moment.

FYI: Pilots will only keep folks employed for 3 weeks or so.

I’ll keep you posted!